25 August 2008

The Big 10 Network Lives!

Recently, God decided to give me a pre-3rd year of law school gift. He ordained it that the Big 10 Network would somehow be beamed into my 12th floor Detroit apartment. I stumbled upon The Network one lazy morning last week when I was flipping channels during breakfast......

Graham's Thought Process

Channel 58: HSN...no
Channel 59: Fuzz...
Channel 60: History Channel...too early for that
Channel 65: Spanish Channel...wait...this isn't the Spanish Channel...this is the 1990 matchup between Michigan and Michigan State when Desmond Howard got tripped in the endzone...wait a minute, who would be showing this game...Oh yes....amen

All the supposed idiosyncrasies and Iowa Woman's lacrosse games that were supposed to plague the Big 10 Network are meaningless in my eyes. Do you want to watch an hour of the Purdue Boilermakers practicing, with full hitting and passing drills? I sure do! Do you want to watch Desmond Howard get tripped over and over, ending Michigan's national championship hopes? I sure do, even if it is for the same reason people gape at a blazing house fire.

"All the supposed idiosyncrasies and Iowa Woman's lacrosse games that were supposed to plague the Big 10 Network are meaningless in my eyes."


I think the best part of the Big 10 Network is the classic games. The other day, OSU v Arizona State '97 was on, the Jake Plummer/David Boston game. That game had everything: a Heisman contender at QB, an upstart program, the John Cooper face (the look on Cooper's face during crucial junctures of this game was Classic in itself; his face showed so much confusion, so much anger...and it was made even better that he is/was a dead ringer for Rudy Guiliani)...

And it's for these reasons that the Big 10 Network is a somewhat religious experience. I think the only real problem is the commercials, an endless loop of Big 10 school promotion. But the college football season is starting in 3 days and I am in a great mood, so I can turn these commercials into a positive for you. The Rivalry Esq brings you:

Advice From the Corny Commercials that Endlessly Loop on the Big 10 Network

Be Remarkable (Iowa)

Stay Connected (Archie Griffin and the Ohio State Alumni)

It's Your Time (Penn State)

Be Driven to Discover (Minnesota)

No comments: